By Principal Regina Browning
We are thrilled to welcome both new and returning students in Orientation this week where students are learning about many changes! Classes began Aug. 31, but we will continue accepting new and returning students in our GED® Prep and ESOL-English classes throughout the Fall Term. (See our schedule for Orientation here: ACELeon.org/fall2020)
Our theme for this year is We are Better Together! One thing COVID-19 has taught us is how much we need each other. Our ACE team of teachers, staff and administrators are committed more than ever to come alongside our students on their journey for A Great Start for a Better Future!
We’ve made many changes to adapt to the circumstances of operating in a pandemic and to be able to continue to serve our students to the best of our ability. First, we’ve made more space for online students than ever before. Our online classes will have both videoconferencing and individually-guided lessons.
Second, we’ve made many changes to our in-person classes to follow the Leon County Schools safety protocols and keep our staff and students safe:
- Class sizes have been reduced to allow for social distancing.
- Desk guards have been added to all student desks.
- All persons on campus are required to wear masks that cover both their nose and mouth. (Bandanas and gator-type masks are not permitted.)
- Classrooms are being sanitized between classes.
- Teachers will be taking the temperature of students before they enter class each day.
- All students and staff are being advised to NOT come to school if they have even mild symptoms of any illness.
I know many of you not only have to overcome personal challenges, but COVID-related challenges to attend ACE. I want to encourage you to make every effort possible to do so. Your education will serve you well anytime, but perhaps more now than ever. We are here to come alongside you and help you reach your goals. We are Better Together and I hope you’ll let us help you get A Great Start for a Better Future this year!